Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Ancestor Goddess...Literally.....

Brighid Duffy of Kildare, one of the folk manifestations of St. Brighid, who is also the Goddess Brighid, who is regarded by my family as a blood ancestor. If I could find it, there is some poem my mother knows part of, starting out "Brigid the daughter of Duffy, Was not like other young things..." and talking about her sainliness. In any case, even before I was Pagan, I wore a St. Brigid medal, having been dedicated to her as a child. She is a huge focus of my Craft, and I do keep looking to find more stories about her as a Duffy. For today, though, to honor her as an ancestor, here is my daily prayer:

THE GENEALOGY OF BRIGHID
Every day and every night
That I say the Genealogy of Brigid
I shall not be killed,
I shall not be harried,
I shall not be wounded,
I shall not be put in a cell.


No fire, no sun, no moon shall burn me,
No
water, no lake, no sea shall drown me.

For I am child of Poetry,
Poetry, child of Reflection,
Reflection, child of Meditation,
Meditation, child of Lore,
Lore, child of Research,
Research, child of Great Knowledge,
Great Knowledge, child of Intelligence,
Intelligence, child of Comprehension,
Comprehension, child of Wisdom,
Wisdom, child of Brigid

No comments: