Sunday, April 4, 2010

National Poetry Month, Day 4

Here's a new one. If you would like a prompt, what are you doing lately that makes you feel good? Write a poem about that.

Walking

I had forgotten how it felt
To be out in the air
By myself
Stretching, looking, wondering.

Yesterday, I went along the street
Picking up trash
Consciously making an offering
To the Lady of the Land

Today, it was so brisk and chilly,
I hurried a little,
Making steam with my breath
And counting my paces.

And when I got home
I thought deeply.
How is it that I
Have so long neglected this simple joy?

So...it's not exercise
Not any more.
I won't fall into
The trap of "I gotta".

It's a privilege
It's a joy
My self-time,
Daily communion with Nature.

So...every day
Because I want to,
I will go out.
Don't bother me, I'm walking.

No comments: