Friday, April 9, 2010

National Poetry Month, Day 9

Here's today's prompt...first, think of a number between one and ten. Thinking of that number, go to this site, and go to that number of quotes on the page. Copy the quote, and write a poem about it, about what it might make you think about.

My quote:

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892, Act III

My poem: (poetic form is the anaphora, a poem where each line begins with the same word or series of words)

Miss, Taken

I never knew it could be dangerous to share myself,
I never knew someone might not accept me as I was.
I never knew the many ways people can bruise your soul,
I never knew a reason to be frightened of a friend.

I never knew, until I began seeing what's-his-name--
I never knew anyone who could make me seem so real,
I never knew when someone said "my girl", he could mean me.
I never knew the others to whom he said the same thing.

I never knew it was abuse, the things he did, he said,
I never knew I was a victim, never would have been.
I never knew anyone who could make me feel so small--
I never knew I would believe that it was all my fault.

I never knew how powerful I would feel when I left.
I never knew the many years his shadow would remain,
I never knew my children would be caught in the crossfire,
I never knew how long it would be until things might change.

I never knew what it would do to me to live that life,
I never knew how much I'd like myself, much better now,
I never knew the way a possible life-long mistake
I never knew I'd made might serve to make me who I am.

I never knew mistakes could lead to life experience,
I never knew that quote by Wilde could show me who I am.

I never knew.

No comments: