Monday, November 7, 2011

November PAD Chapbook Challenge, Day 7

For today’s prompt, write a “what won’t wait” poem. Only you know what won’t wait. Maybe it’s falling in love or work–or death (one of my favorite Emily Dickinson poems is about this topic). Something else that won’t wait is today’s prompt.

Now, Right Now

We put it off--
"Later", we say...
After this,
Or that,
Or the other thing...

We simply believe
It will wait
Until we are finished
Doing what
Is more important.

There's housework,
Careers, children,
Not to mention
School, marriage,
And other necessities.

So, now, I declare it.
It won't wait any longer.
Yes, I am talking to YOU.
The time is NOW---
Right NOW.

It won't wait.
Don't put it off
One more instant.
That other stuff
Is all minutiae.

When will you begin
To do what is important?
To do what needs to be done
Right NOW...
When will you start---to LIVE?

1 comment:

LATENT NEWS said...

I was going to procrastinate today, but I think I'll do it tomorrow...